Wednesday, June 3 at the King Street Gazebo in Shippensburg. Gather at 6:00, rally at 6:30. Fund Our Schools Flyer
For the fifth year in a row, the Shippensburg Area School District and school districts throughout PA are faced with making deep cuts in our schools because of a broken state funding system that is based on politics rather than on what it actually costs to educate children.
Join us to tell lawmakers to take politics out of school funding, invest additional resources in public education, and reject the status quo of higher local taxes and deep cuts in our schools. We need our lawmakers to support a budget that invests in education and supports our children and our communities.
Speakers include, who will each speak for 1 minute, include:
- Bruce Hockersmith, Shippensburg Mayor
- Jim Hertzler, Cumberland County Commissioner
- Elaine “Betsy” Haller, former librarian and current board member of the Shippensburg Public Library
- Ray Staver, Shippensburg Area High School physical education teacher
- Tom Horst, Shippensburg Area School District athletic trainer
- Clarence Cornman, retired SASD custodian
- Jill Hollar, SASD parent and Cumberland Valley SD guidance counselor
- Jen Yaukey, SASD parent
- Alan Tolbert, Shippensburg Area High School junior
- Francesca Yaukey, SASD graduating senior
Because of years of inadequate state funding, SASD faces more than a $1 million deficit in the 2015-2016 budget. Our school board is raising taxes to the maximum amount allowed by law, taking more than $400K from the school district’s savings, and cutting $300K in programs and services from our schools. SASD cuts since 2011 have been deep. Without additional state funding this year, in 2016-2017, SASD will face a $1.5 million deficit and can expect to be bankrupt within 3-4 years. We need our state lawmakers to support our our children, our schools and our communities in this state budget.
Can’t come to the rally? Give your state lawmaker a call:
Senator Richard Alloway (all of SASD except Hopewell Township and Newburg Boro) (717) 264-6100
Senator John Eichelberger (Hopewell Township and Newburg Boro) (717) 787-5490
Representative Mark Keller (SASD in Cumberland County) (717) 477-0905
Representative Rob Kauffman (SASD in Franklin County) 717-264-3943